top of page

Frequently Asked Questions About Psychology in Windsor, ON

Here you can find some commonly asked questions concerning psychology that Barron and Associates have collected. Much of the following information can be found in the links provided on our External Links page. The Ontario Psychological Association (OPA) website was fundamental in compiling the information that is reiterated on this site.

What is Psychology?

Psychology is the scientific study of human behaviour. As an applied science, it is the use of scientific and empirically –driven methods to help people who are experiencing a variety of possible things, including major mental disorders, personality disorders, or adjusting to change in their lives; in employment screening and evaluation; in academic and vocational planning.

In practice, there are two protected titles in psychology reserved exclusively for members in good standing with the College of Psychologists. They are – psychologist, who requires a Doctoral Degree in Psychology; and psychological associate who requires a Master’s Degree in Psychology.

What is a Psychologist?

According to the Ontario Psychological Association website, “a Psychologist is a professional trained in assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental health issues. Psychologists are registered and regulated by the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO). In Ontario, only a member of CPO may call himself or herself a Psychologist”. In order to become registered as a Psychologist in Ontario, an individual must:

* have completed a Doctorate degree (Ph.D.) in Psychology. The Doctoral degree is the highest degree awarded by any university, involving about 9 years of formal training and education;

*complete a one-year full-time supervised practice internship;

*successfully complete multiple professional exams, including both written and oral examinations;

* follow the ethical code and standards of professional practice as defined in the Health Professions Act legislated by the Province of Ontario, and

* be a member in good standing with the College of Psychologists of Ontario

*note that due to reciprocity agreements, some people may be allowed to use the title "Psychologist" without having attained a doctorate degree provided that they have been able to use the title as a registered professional in another province or state.

What is a Psychological Associate?

In order to become registered as a psychological associate, an individual must:

have completed a Master’s degree in Psychology, involving about 5 years of formal training and education; complete four years of experience;

successfully complete multiple professional examinations, including both written and oral examinations;

follow the ethical code and standards of professional practice as defined in the Health Professions Act legislated by the Province of Ontario, and

be a member in good standing with the College of Psychologists of Ontario.

What is a registered Social Worker?

From individuals and families to organizations and communities, social workers collaborate with their clients to address challenges through a process of assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation.

Registered social workers have specialized university education and must participate in continued professional learning and skills development to fulfil the requirements of their professional regulatory body, the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.

According to the College’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, the scope of practice of the profession of social work means the assessment, diagnosis, treatment and evaluation of individual, interpersonal and societal problems through the use of social work knowledge, skills, interventions and strategies, to assist individuals, dyads, families, groups, organizations and communities to achieve optimum psychosocial and social functioning

What do Psychologists and Psychological Associates do?

In addition to private practice, psychologists and psychological associates work in a variety of service sectors, such as: education, human resources, business and industry, corrections, community care, primary care, acute care hospitals, rehabilitation after serious injury or accident health promotion, long-term care, chronic care, and home care.

Psychologists and psychological associates work with people of all ages (including individuals, couples, families, groups, organizations, and government agencies) to work through problems, issues, life events, or mental illness. Services vary depending on the specific psychologist or psychological associate, but can include: assessment, treatment, consultation, training, and/or research. There are many specialized areas of psychology, including:

Clinical and Counselling Psychology – behavioural, emotional, personality, and relationship issues

Educational Psychology – concerns and disabilities related to learning and the education system

Neuropsychology – dysfunctions associated with the brain and central nervous system

Rehabilitation Psychology – behavioural and emotional issues associated with physical disabilities

Child Psychology – behavioural, emotional, and other related issues of childhood and adolescence

Gerontological Psychology – behavioural, emotional, and other issues associated with aging

Forensic Psychology – issues associated with criminal behaviour and the justice system

Industrial/Organizational Psychology – personnel selection and training, work and job design, staff development, managing organizational change, consumer behaviour, and relocation counselling

What are the fees? How are Psychologists/Psychological Associates, Social Workers and Psychotherapists paid?

At the present time, fees for psychological services are not included in the provincial healthcare system, with the exception of some services offered within hospital and other medical settings. However, the extended health care benefits offered by many employers do cover all or some of the costs of treatment. In some cases, the employers themselves cover treatment costs. The costs associated with psychological assessment and treatment may also be covered by other third-party payers, such as WSIB, auto insurance, Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, etc.

In many of these cases, these benefit carriers can be billed directly for services. In some cases, however, clients are required to cover the cost of services up front and must submit to their benefits carrier for reimbursement. In other cases, where there is no insurance or third-party payor, psychological services are eligible as a medical expense on your income tax return. The standard fee for Psychological services in Ontario is $225 per therapeutic hour, however this standard fee may be reduced depending on individual circumstances. Please call the Barron  & Associates to discuss your particular fee needs further.

"The greatest discovery of my generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind." 

William James (1842-1910)

bottom of page